The list of road construction projects underway in Michiana continues to grow. This week, several railroad crossing repair projects are underway in Mishawaka and Elkhart:
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY
- Layton Road is closed approximately 1/2 mile east of State Road 331. Also, the junction of Madison Road at Elm Road is also closed due to repairs needed. (ends TBA)
- The U.S. 6 bridge over the Yellow River is closed. The bridge is a mile west of State Road 331 in Bremen. The bridge will be closed until the end of September while crews replace the deck. Detours are set up on State Road 106.
- The right shoulder on the eastbound US-12 bridge over M-51 is closed as a precaution due to damage to the beam. (ends TBA)
- A reminder for downtown Niles drivers, that the Main St. Bridge is closed for an entire year. Detours are set along Lincoln, Grant, Broadway, Fifth and Wayne Streets.
- Walnut St. is closed from Washington to West Jefferson for sewer repair. (ends late on 5/20)
- Watch for lane closures on Kenmore Street near Voorde Drive. Flaggers may be on scene to help direct you through. (ends 6/17)
- Watch for lane closures at Lafayette and Navarre and Lafayette north of Navarre. (ends 5/22)
- Traffic is restricted on Northshore Drive at Iroquois, due to the river bank caving in. The bike lanes are closed there. Traffic is shifted to the north (TFN)
- Fellows Street is closed from Ireland Road to Walter Street. (ends late on 5/29)
- Lane restrictions along Lincolnway West from William to Maplewood. (ends 6/26)
- Watch for closures at the Fir Road and Cleveland Road railroad tracks. Crews say it could take till the end of the week to finish. (ends 5/22)
- Church St. between Third St. and Eighth St. is down to one lane in each direction. No left turns will be permitted at Fourth St. for northbound traffic. No left turns will be permitted at Seventh St. for southbound traffic. These restrictions will remain in place until mid-June. Truck traffic is detoured using State Road 331 via McKinley Ave.,Lincolnway East, Twelfth St., and the US 20 Bypass. (ends 6/15)
- Gumwood Road is closed from Brick Rd. to Adams Rd. Work to finish the storm sewer, earthwork, pavement removal and prepare for asphalt pavement will take place. Traffic will be detoured to Fir Rd., Adams Rd. and Grape Rd.
- Lane restrictions along County Road 6 at the intersection with County Road 15. Plan a few extra minutes to get through… (ends late on 5/21)
- Norfolk Southern has called for crews to work on the crossing at County Road 37 at County Road 140. Also, County Road 37 at County Road 42. The crossings will be closed for a week. (ends 5/26)
- Norfolk Southern has called for crews to work on the crossing at County Road 31 at County Road 36. Also County Road 31 at County Road 38. The crossings will be closed for a week. (ends 5/26)
- Prairie St. is closed on the north side of Middlebury St. to the south side of State St.
- In Elkhart, Waterfall Drive is closed between Franklin St & High Street for streetscape improvements and Riverwalk extension. E. Lexington, Waterfall Drive and High Street will be one-way throughout the construction project. (ends 9/15)
- The County Road 40 bridge over Stony Creek is closed between County Road 43 and County Road South 1200 West in Lagrange County (west of Topeka). (ends 7/5)
- A repaving project is underway on U.S. 33 from the Elkhart River bridge to Ferndale Road. Watch for lane closures and prepare for possible delays. (ends 7/2)
- Drivers who regularly travel the County Road 4 bridge over Christiana Creek, north of Elkhart, need to find a new route. The bridge is closed for the next six months for replacement. (ends 6/2015)