Child's hand blown off by homemade firework, Benton Harbor police say

0
1005

By: Krystal Vivian kvivian@953mnc.com

A boy’s left hand was blown off and another boy suffered minor injuries to his face after a homemade firework was detonated Tuesday afternoon, June 30, in Benton Harbor, Mich. 

A 14-year-old boy and a 12-year-old boy were both hospitalized for their injuries, according to a news release from Benton Harbor Department of Public Safety.

The incident was reported just before 2 p.m. in the 600 block of Pavone Street. Police don’t know where the boys got the homemade firework, according to the news release.

Police are encouraging residents to be extra careful about handling fireworks safety, including providing strict adult supervision to any children using fireworks.