The father of a Penn High School student charged in connection to a party in which at least four teenagers overdosed — including brothers Nick and Jack Savage, who died — says his daughter shouldn’t be charged with a crime because she saved a life.
- RELATED: Toxicology tests show Savage brothers died of combination of oxycodone and alcohol, July 20, 2015
Lauren Schwindaman, 18, was charged in July with furnishing alcohol to a minor. Court documents filed in the case explained that Schwindaman hosted a party at her Granger home in June when her parents went out of town and told guests that it was “BYOB” or “bring your own beverage.”
When party guest Kyle Treber was found unresponsive, Schwindaman sought help from her neighbor, who is a doctor, the South Bend Tribune reported. Treber was revived and eventually recovered after receiving medical treatment.
Another student was found with overdose symptoms the next morning but also survived. The Savage brothers were found dead at their home.
Schwindaman’s father, Rob Schwidnaman, told the Tribune that while his daughter made a mistake in hosting the party, she helped save Treber’s life, and she shouldn’t be charged.
- RELATED: Teens charged in connection to party attended by Savage brothers, July 21, 2015
“She didn’t even hesitate or think about any charges that could come to her,” he told the Tribune. “There were 15 other kids sitting down in that basement watching (Treber) turning blue and passing out.”
Find out how Indiana’s Lifeline Law and The Host Law play a role in this case in the full story from the South Bend Tribune.