Another phase of Smart Streets construction begins on Tuesday, May 17, in downtown South Bend as Michigan Street will close from LaSalle to Riverside. The intersections of Michigan and Bartlett and Michigan and Marion will be closed as well, blocking the main entrance to Memorial Hospital. Drivers can detour using Sample and Eddy streets from the south and Cleveland Road to Bendix Drive to Lincolnway or Portage Avenue and Angela Boulevard from the north.
Patients and visitors can get to Memorial Hospital along North Lafayette Boulevard.
In addition, there are lane closures on Main Street from Wayne to Monroe, on Wayne Street from Main to Michigan, on Western from Main to Michigan and on Lafayette from Colfax to Washington.
More South Bend restrictions are listed below the Smart Streets construction map.
ON THE TOLL ROAD
- Constriction on the Indiana Toll Road is underway between mile markers 22 to 30 and mile markers 41 to 50. Expect on-and-off lane closures in both the east and westbound lanes. (ends 2018)
IN ST. JOSEPH COUNTY
- (NEW) Some railroad crossings are closed for repair in St. Joseph County, including the crossings at Beech Rd, Cottage Grove, Elder, and Oakside. (ends 5/17)
- U.S. 31/20 Bypass bridge construction near the South Bend Airport continues. The ramp closures are from the southbound bypass to eastbound 20 and from westbound 20 to the southbound bypass. Also, watch for lane closures in the area.
IN SOUTH BEND
- (NEW FOR TUE) Colfax will be closed between Main and Michigan during the Bike To Work Week Breakfast in front of the LaSalle Grill (reopens after 10 a.m.)
- (NEW FOR TUE) Another phase of Smart Streets construction begins today (Tue) as Michigan Street is closing from LaSalle to Riverside. The intersections of Michigan and Bartlett and Michigan and Marion are closed, as well. You can detour using Sample and Eddy, LaSalle to Niles, or Portage and Angela.(TFN)
- (NEW FOR TUE) Watch for lane closures on Main Street, from Wayne to Monroe. On Wayne Street from Main to Michigan. On Western, from Main to Michigan… and on Lafayette, from Colfax to Washington.
- (NEW FOR TUE) Watch for restrictions at Wayne and Lafayette (ends 5/27)… Jefferson and Michigan (ends 6/3)…
- (NEW FOR TUE) Watch for a partial lane closure on Lafayette at the Studebaker Building, from Bronson to Sample. (ends 5/23)
- (NEW FOR TUE) Traffic is restricted at N. Olive and Marquette. (ends 5/20)
- (NEW) Watch for a partial lane closure on Marion Street near Lafayette Blvd.
- Watch for a partial lane closure at the intersection of Michigan and Chippewa. (ends 6/3)
- Preliminary work for the State Road 23 resurfacing project is underway between Edison Road in South Bend and Gumwood & Main in Mishawaka. Watch for lane closures between Edison Road and Gumwood/Main as road patching and curb work continues. (The complete resurfacing of 23 is scheduled to begin in mid-June.)
- Traffic is restricted on Northside Blvd and South St. Louis Blvd from Jefferson to Sample St. (ends 5/20)
- The Olive-Sample bridge construction project is underway. Sample Street has lane restrictions… Also Olive Street is closed at Ford Street on north… and south of Sample. Portions of Olive between the SB Water Works drive to Tucker will have lane restrictions. (ends Sep/Oct 2016)
- The fifth phase of the City of South Bend’s sewer separation project is underway with road closures taking place along Northside Boulevard and Frances Street, south of Wayne Street. (ends in Nov. 2016)
- (NEW FOR TUE) Watch for a lane closure on westbound Jackson, between Main Street and NIBCO Parkway. (ends late on 5/17)
- Greenleaf Blvd. is blocked at East Beardsley Avenue due to water main work. (ends 7/2)
IN ELKHART COUNTY
- (NEW) Repaving is underway U.S. 131 from the Michigan state line to just north of the Indiana Toll Road, where the roadway becomes S.R. 13. (ends 6/2016)
- (NEW) Watch for crews installing raised pavement markers this week. Work will take place on:
- State Road 13 between U.S. 33 and the Indiana Toll Road.
- State Road 15 between the Michigan state line and the Elkhart/Kosciusko county line.
- State Road 19 between County Road 52 and County Road 24.
- State Road 119 between State Road 19 and State Road 15.
- U.S. 20 between the Elkhart/St. Joseph county line and 2 miles west of State Road 15.
- U.S. 33 between the U.S. 6 junction and County Road 31. (ends 5/20)
- County Road 29 is closed at U.S. 6. Detours are set up for traffic along CR 29. Traffic on U.S. 6 is not affected, but watch out for flaggers directing traffic at times. (ends 10/16)
IN LAPORTE COUNTY
- (NEW FOR TUE) Watch for crews patching potholes on I-94 between Michigan City and Chesterton. (ends 5/17)
IN MARSHALL COUNTY
- Michigan Road, the old 31, is closed just south of Lapaz for bridge replacement work. Drivers are encouraged to take U.S. 6, U.S. 31 and U.S. 30 to get in and out of Plymouth.)
IN KOSCIUSKO COUNTY
- Watch for lane restrictions on U.S. 30 between State Road 15 and State Road 19 in Kosciusko County. (ends in August)