Downtown South Bend announced the 2021 awardees for the matching grant program. The program was launched to make improvements to patios, façade enhancements, and landscaping improvements.
Recipients will be reimbursed up to 50% of the total amount spent of the qualifying portion of a project.
This year’s theme was “Exterior Activation” and special preference was given to applicants that has projects of:
- Expanded ability to use patio in all four seasons
- Were decorative or artistic in nature
- Had permanence
A record number of 20 applicants were received. Out of those, 14 applicants were able to have matching funds provided. The city of South Bend supplemented the usual $50,000 allocated for grants.
The 2021 awardees are:
- 431 S. Main – Fencing and landscape improvements
- Ali on the Boulevard – Façade enhancements
- Aloft – Permanent four-season patio
- Café Navarre – Patio upgrades
- Jack’s Donuts – Outdoor space enhancements
- Jefferson 315 LLC – Façade enhancements
- LaSalle Grill – Façade enhancements
- Macri’s Bakery – Patio upgrades
- PEGGS – Patio upgrades
- Purple Porch Co-op – Patio upgrades
- South Bend Chocolate Café – Patio remodel with addition of rooftop seating area
- The Garage Arcade Bar – Patio upgrades
- The General Deli & Café – Façade renovation
- Woochi – Upgrade outdoor patio
This year’s grant awards of $236,000 will lead up to nearly $1 million in investments to the downtown area.