Keyless ignitions cause of carbon monoxide poisoning in Illinois

HIGHLAND PARK, Ill. (AP) — The poisoning death of a Highland Park couple in their home has drawn more attention to the potential dangers of keyless auto ignitions.

The Chicago Tribune reports that Pasquale and Rina Fontanini were found dead June 15. Their son, a local fire department lieutenant, said lethal levels of carbon monoxide were in the home after the couple left their car running in the garage.

Safety advocates count up to a dozen deaths nationwide because of such scenarios and want immediate action.

Sean Kane of Safety Research and Strategies says those deaths are likely undercounted because no reporting is required.

Wade Newton of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers says safety is automakers’ top priority and they generally follow industry guidelines for warning indicators on keyless ignitions.

Related posts

Supreme Court: Federal ban on “bump stocks” is unlawful

Jon Zimney

Local reaction to SCOTUS ruling about abortion pill Mifepristone

Network Indiana

Study suggests Michigan will have the worst summer power outages this year

Tommie Lee