Holiday weekend travelers should plan for heavy traffic on interstates and highways in Indiana, according to the Indiana Department of Transportation.
INDOT plans on suspending several road restrictions beginning Friday afternoon, Sept. 4, through early Tuesday morning, Sept. 8.
Restrictions will remain for some large scale projects where restrictions cannot be removed, including along State Road 23 in Walkerton, which is closed between U.S. 6 and Tyler Road and along I-80/94 in Lake and Porter Counties.
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY
- The ramp from eastbound U.S. 20 to the northbound bypass is closed. Also, the ramp from the northbound bypass to westbound U.S. 20 is closed. Intermittent lane closure on U.S. 20 and the bypass are also possible
- Union Road is closed in the southwestern part of the county for replacement of the roadway over Robbins Ditch. Detour using County Road 875 East in LaPorte County and Timothy Trail for north and southbound traffic between US 6 which is to carry east and westbound traffic.
- Delays are possible on the State Road 23 bridge over Yellow Bank Creek, between Shively Road and Walnut Road, near Walkerton. Crews are widening the lanes approaching the bridge and working on the bridge itself. Flaggers will be on scene at times directing traffic. (ends 10/31)
- In St. Joseph County, State Road 23 is closed at the railroad tracks between U.S.6 and Tyler Road in Walkerton. Crews will be replacing the bridge deck over Pine Creek. The closure is in effect through mid-November. Detours are set up.
- (NEW) Watch for a partial closure at the 200 block of Ewing Street, just west of Main Street, for work at the railroad tracks (ends late on 9/4)
- (NEW) In South Bend, traffic is restricted along Carbonmill Drive from Ameritech to the east. (ends 10/9)
- (NEW) Down to one lane in each directions on Douglas Road, just east of the intersection with State Road 23. Merge to the right. (ends TBA)
- (NEW) Traffic is restricted in the 4200 block of Lathrop. (ends 9/10)
- Watch for lane restrictions on Western Avenue from Dundee to Bendix. (ends 10/1)
- Watch for restrictions in the 500 block of West South St. continuing to Main St. (ends 10/2)
- Gumwood Road is closing from north of Adams Road to the Michigan state line for road work. Residents who live in the neighborhoods along that stretch will need to get in and out through Adams Road.
- Cedar St. will be closed to through traffic between Lincolnway and Fourth St. The intersection of Cedar St. and Third St. will also be closed. Lincolnway and Fourth St. will remain open to traffic. (ends 10/31)
- Mishawaka Ave. will be closed between Forest Avenue and Liberty Drive. (ends 10/31)
- In Goshen, Fifth Street is closed from north of Pike Street to Rock Run Creek.
- (NEW) The railroad crossing at Lusher Avenue, near Main Street, is closed through the rest of the week. (ends 9/5)
- (NEW) Several downtown streets closed by construction work on a large sewage holding tank will reopen Nov. 1, later than the originally planned Sept. 1 reopening. This includes: Westbound Lexington Avenue between Main Street and Waterfall Drive Waterfall Drive between Jackson Boulevard and High Street and the Gause parking lot along Waterfall.
- Prairie Street is closed between Waterfall Drive and Division Street. This is a long-term closure, ending in late October. (ends 10/24)
- Prairie Street is closed from Division Street to Stocker Court. This includes the intersection with Division. Detour to Main, Franklin and Waterfall. (ends 11/15/15)
- Waterfall Drive is closed between Franklin St & High Street for streetscape improvements and Riverwalk extension. E. Lexington, Waterfall Drive and High Street will be one-way throughout the construction project. (ends 9/15)
- Folsom Street is closed at Elizabeth, Belmont, Huron and York. Take Bar Street to get to the cross streets. (ends 11/15/15)
- U.S. 20 lane expansion continues from County Road 17 to County Road 15. (ends 7/2015)
- The U.S. 33 bridge over the Elkhart River in Benton is closed. Detour using U.S. 6 to State Road 13, State Road 15, then back to 33.
- Near Nappanee, State Road 119 is closed between County Road 7 and State Road 19 while crews continue work on a new roundabout at 19-119 and County Road 44. County Road 44 East is also closed. (ends 10/2015)
- Watch for lane restrictions on State Road 331 between U.S. 30 and State Road 10 near Bourbon. This goes until the end of November. Also, SR 331 will be closed, completely, starting 8/24 through mid-September for railroad crossing repair between E. Jackson Street and Lincoln Highway.
- In Marshall County, the U.S. 6 bridge over the Yellow River is closed. The bridge is a mile west of State Road 331 in Bremen. (ends 9/2015)
- In Niles, the right shoulder on the eastbound US-12 bridge over M-51 is closed as a precaution due to damage to the beam. (ends TBA)
- A reminder for downtown Niles drivers, that the Main St. Bridge is closed for an entire year. Detours are set along Lincoln, Grant, Broadway, Fifth and Wayne Streets.