South Bend woman dies after being shocked in basement

0
1554

A freak accident leads to the death of a South Bend woman who merely went to her flooded basement.

Sandra Sharp, 54, was found lying in about six inches of water in the basement of her home on the 17000 block of Madison Road on the far south side of South Bend. She was rushed to the hospital, but died on Monday, according to our reporting partners at ABC 57.

Police believe that a box fan lying next to her was the source of the shock. They believe the flood waters caused a short circuit and created an electrical current.

Officials are now warning residents to contact local officials first before cleaning up. Clay Fire Department Battalion Chief Todd Hurley told ABC 57 that her death could have been prevented if she she had contacted the fire department first.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here