Michigan man dies after large firework explodes near his head

WALLED LAKE, Mich. (AP) — Police say a 47-year-old man has died after a large firework shell he was holding exploded near his head in suburban Detroit.

The Oakland Press of Pontiac says the Oakland County medical examiner’s office identifies him as Scott Jeffers of Walled Lake.

Walled Lake Police Chief Paul Shakinas tells the Detroit Free Press that Sunday night’s explosion happened in front of the man’s family in a residential neighborhood.

WXYZ-TV says he may not have known the mortar-type firework was lit.

Shakinas says fireworks were being set off at a gathering a week ahead of Fourth of July weekend.

Michigan Fire Marshal Richard Miller officials issued a warning Monday about fireworks dangers. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says they accounted for 11,400 emergency room visits and eight deaths in 2013.

Related posts

Medical parole bills approved by Michigan House

Associated Press

Judge's cellphone rings in court, so he fines self

95.3 MNC

Michigan works to thwart barrage of cyberattacks

95.3 MNC