Steak ’N Shake in Mishawaka is closed until further notice after firefighters responded to a fire at the restaurant on Monday morning, Dec. 7.
Traffic is blocked on Douglas Road near the Grape Road intersection while crews remain on scene.
The fire was reported just before 6:15 a.m. and was under control within 15 minutes, according to the Mishawaka Fire Department.
The power is out in the area immediately surrounding the restaurant.
Fire under control at Steak & Shake Grape & Douglas. Crews remaining on scene. Fire 106 enroute. Use caution if driving in area. Fog.
— Mishawaka Fire Dept (@MishawakaFIRE) December 7, 2015
The fire was reportedly in the kitchen. The restaurant’s only occupants, a cook and a waitress, were able to leave the building without injuries, according to WSBT.
The restaurant will remain closed for the rest of Monday, according to our news partners ABC 57, and will re-open once the St. Joseph County Health Department gives its approval.
UPDATE: No injuries. Kitchen fire. Steak ‘n Shake will remain closed today and will not reopen until health department gives the OK.
— Evan Sery (@EvanSeryABC57) December 7, 2015
Traffic was still blocked as of 7:50 a.m.
This story will be updated with more information as it becomes available.