NASHVILLE, Ind. (AP) — A central Indiana man camping in Brown County State Park is recovering after being bitten by a venomous snake.
Conservation officers say 35-year-old Nan Zhang of Carmel and his family were camping in Taylor Ridge Campground in Brown County State Park and were headed to a shower house Saturday evening when he was bitten on the foot by a copperhead rattlesnake.
Officers say Zhang was wearing flip-flops and the snake bit one of his toes. He was transported to a hospital in stable condition.
They say while copperheads and timber rattlesnakes are present throughout southern Indiana, they’re not aggressive by nature and bites to humans are rare.
Other campers in the area killed the snake.