The Elkhart Police Department has offered safety tips for those who will be out shopping on Black Friday and during the holiday weekend:
1) Drive safe, don’t drink and driver and always wear your seatbelt.
2) Park in a well-lit area of the parking lot.
3) Lock you vehicle while shopping.
4) Be aware of your surroundings.
5) Keep a watchful eye on children.
6) While shopping keep an eye and if possible a hand on your purse and wallet.
7) Consider carrying less cash and use credit / debit cards for your purchases.
8) When returning to your vehicle, have your keys ready to unlock the door.
9) Place all valuables in the trunk or out of sight.
10) Report suspicious persons or activity to police.