LocalMichiganNews

No charges to be filed in fatal officer-involved shooting in Benton Harbor

(Photo supplied/Benton Harbor Department of Public Safety)

BENTON HARBOR, Mich. (AP) — No charges will be filed in the fatal shooting of a Benton Harbor man by a police officer.

Berrien County prosecutor Michael Sepic says the officer acted in self-defense in the death of 28-year-old Darius Wimberly in October.

Video showed Benton Harbor officers outside a house to investigate a report of someone being held at gunpoint. There was no incident, but shots were suddenly fired by someone nearby.

In a statement Wednesday, the prosecutor says Wimberly “had an issue” with someone who had been at the house the previous night. He says it’s not known if Wimberly knew he was shooting at police officers.

Sepic says investigators found a gun in Wimberly’s hand and another gun in his pocket.

Related posts

SBPD: Gun violence is down 48% in City of South Bend

Jon Zimney

Elkhart County Sheriff’s Office asking for help identifying pair connected to robbery

Jon Zimney

70-year-old found guilty in 2023 bank robbery

Alyssa Foster

Leave a Comment