A pay raise has been approved for bus drivers in the South Bend Community School Corporation.
The School Board approved a new contract for the drivers at Thursday night’s meeting, resulting in a pay raise. It’s the first contract change of its kind in 12 years, according to the Director of Transportation.
This will make it easier to recruit new candidates that can ease the shortage of qualified bus drivers, a problem that’s been common in recent years and has contributed to many of the department’s recent issues.
Here’s how the raises breakdown:
2017-2018 school year
- Drivers making up to $17.37/hour will make $18.26/hour
- Drivers making between $17.38/hour and $17.75/hour will make $18.76/hour
- Drivers making $17.38/hour and more will make $18.76/hour.
Starting January 1, 2019
- Drivers making $18.26/hour will make $18.50/hour
- Drivers making $18.76/hour will make $19.00/hour
- Drivers making $20.00/hour will make $20.25/hour