Valparaiso man fatally shot after attacking officers

(Photo supplied/Indiana State Police)

SOUTH HAVEN, Ind. (AP) — A sheriff’s officer fatally shot a Valparaiso man who allegedly attacked a family member and officers at a northwestern Indiana home.

State police say the Porter County sheriff’s office responded Wednesday evening in South Haven following a call to assist EMS with person was reported to be suicidal.

Police say two officers arrived and tried to get the person to answer the door before a third officer arrived and saw a bloody person inside through a window. The officers forced their way into the home and used a stun gun to subdue Kevin Grant Vawter, 46.

Police say Vawter at an officer with a knife while being handcuffed and one of the officers shot him. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Indiana State Police released the following information about the shooting:


The male has been identified as Kevin Grant Vawter, age 46 of Valparaiso. Family has been notified.  All three officers were wearing body cameras at the time of the incident.  The officer that was involved in the shooting is on administrative duties which is per the Porter County Sheriff’s standard operating policy.  The two other officers involved have returned to normal police duties.  An autopsy is scheduled for today on Vawter by the Porter County Coroner’s office.  Information pertaining to the Porter County officers should be directed to the Porter County Sheriff’s Department.

Original release below:

South Haven, Porter County-The Indiana State Police were requested by Porter County Sheriff Dave Reynolds to investigate a police action shooting involving one of his officers.

Preliminary investigation reveals that at approximately 5:36 pm, this Wednesday, January 23, 2019, evening, they received a call to assist EMS with a suicidal subject that resided in the 700 block of McCool Road in South Haven.  Two Porter County officers arrived at the home and attempted to get the person to answer the door, a third officer arrived and when they looked through one of the home’s window they saw a male who was bloody.  The officers forced entry into the residence and the male went after one of the officers who tased him.  As a second officer went to handcuff the male, the male got up and lunged at the officer with a knife.  It was at this time one of the officers shot at the male, hitting him.  The officers immediately began life saving measures.  EMS arrived shortly thereafter transporting the male to Porter Hospital in Valparaiso where he later died.

Further investigation revealed the call had been made by a family member who had been battered by the male just prior to the call.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here