Two men face heroin-related charges after a month-long investigation that ended on Tuesday at the Warmart on 11th Street in Niles.
On Tuesday, July 16, authorities closed in on George Harris, 27, who they suspect of distributing heroin in Niles Township, as well as the City of South Bend.
During the operation, investigators say Harris attempted to flee and struck a detective’s car. Harris was taken into custody after the crash.
A passenger in the car, Robert Williams, 25, was also arrested.
During a search of the car, detectives say they found 54 grams of heroin, several digital scales, a Glock pistol with a 50 round drum magazine, and other narcotics-related items.
George Harris was lodged in Berrien County Jail on the following charges:
1. Delivery of Heroin 2nd
2. Possession with intent to deliver heroin 2nd over 50 grams
3. Felon in possession of a firearm
4. Possession of a firearm in commission of a felony
5. Destruction of police property
6. Maintaining a drug vehicle
Robert Williams was lodged in Berrien County Jail on the following charges:
1. Possession with intent to deliver heroin over 50 grams
2. Felon in possession of a firearm
3. Possession of a firearm in commission of a felony
4. Out of state warrant for armed robbery and parole absconder