Dowagiac home catches fire after child plays with lighter, sets pile of clothing ablaze

0
628
(Source: https://goo.gl/4hRlFI License: https://goo.gl/OOAQfn)

Firefighters were called to a home in Dowagiac Monday after a child accidentally started a fire while playing with a lighter.

The fire was reported just after 4:00 Monday afternoon in the 300 block of E. Division Street.

Police arrived first to the scene, and reported seeing smoke emitting from the upper floor of the house.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire 11 minutes after arrival, and there was smoke and fire damage to the upstairs bedroom.

An investigation revealed that a small child had been upstairs playing with a lighter when a pile of clothing caught on fire. The owner of the home smelled smoke, heard the smoke alarm, and was able to evacuate everyone out of the house safely.

No injuries were reported.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here