A 39-year-old Michigan man accused of trying to imprison two women in a bedroom and set the house on fire was arraigned Wednesday, Feb. 2.
Daniel Eugene Thornton was charged with one count each of:
- arson in the second degree,
- unlawful imprisonment,
- arson in the third degree,
- assault by strangulation,
- assault with a deadly weapon and
- aggravated domestic assault.
He’s being held at Cass County (Mich.) Jail on $150,000 bond.
Police say Thornton tried to nail a bedroom door shut when two women he knew were inside the bedroom, and then tried to set the house on fire in several locations late Tuesday night, March 1.
A passerby noticed a fire burning on the front porch of the home on Huntley Road near Niles, Mich. and called 911. Police said the two women and five young children escaped the home while Thornton was speaking with firefighters.
- RELATED: Cass County man accused of attempting to imprison women in house and setting fire, March 2, 2016