INDOT will begin the second phase of the U.S. 31/20 bypass bridge rehabilitation project near the South Bend Airport starting on Monday, March 28. The project will close of two ramps and lanes near the U.S. 31/20 bypass as crews work to improve the bypass bridge over U.S. 20.
The closures, in effect through mid-October are as follows:
- Ramp from Southbound U.S. 31/20 Bypass to eastbound U.S. 20
- Ramp from westbound U.S. 20 to southbound U.S. 31/20 Bypass
- Eastbound U.S. 20 left lane closed at the bridge
- Westbound U.S. 20 left lane closed at the bridge
- Southbound U.S. 31/20 Bypass traffic will be shifted into northbound lane at the bridge and there will only be one lane in both directions at the bridge.
Traffic will be detoured around the ramp closures by utilizing the interchanges at the U.S. 31/20 Bypass and Nimtz Road and the U.S. 31/20 Bypass and State Road 2.
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY
- In St. Joseph County, Quinn Road between Hickory Road and Gumwood Road is closed to allow crews to make repairs to the guardrail on the bridge over Kline/Rouch Ditch. You can detour using Miami, Riley and Gumwood Roads.
- (NEW FOR WED) Dragoon Trail is closed between Logan Street and Spring Street for tree removal from 8:30 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. (ends 3/23)
- (NEW FOR WED) Traffic is restricted on South Street between Michigan and Taylor… Main Street, between South and Monroe…and Lafayette, between South and Monroe (ends 4/2)
- (NEW) Traffic is restricted on Floral Place from Mayflower to Floral. Also, on Mayflower Circle from Mayflower Road to Dogwood Drive (ends 3/21)
- (NEW) Watch for lane restrictions along Western Avenue from S. Williams to S. Main Street. (ends 3/30)
- (NEW) Sherman Ave is restricted from Van Buren St. to Lindsey Ave. (ends 3/23)
- (NEW) Northside Blvd is closed near the South Bend Farmer’s Market. (ends 3/31)
- (NEW) County Road 29 is closed at U.S. 6. Detours are set up for traffic along CR 29. Traffic on U.S. 6 is not affected, but watch out for flaggers directing traffic at times. (ends 10/16)
- (NEW) Michigan Road, the old 31, is closed just south of Lapaz for bridge replacement work. Drivers are encouraged to take U.S. 6, U.S. 31 and U.S. 30 to get in and out of Plymouth.)
- (NEW) Watch for alternating lane restrictions on U.S. 30 between State Road 15 and State Road 19 in Kosciusko County for the next several months. Crews will be working on three bridges along U.S. 30. Work is expected to be completed by late August.