Mother of Savage brothers warns students about the dangers of drug, alcohol use

The mother of two Granger men who died after overdosing on oxycodone and alcohol in 2015 spoke to a group of high school students and other community members on Monday night, May 9, about the dangers of using drugs and alcohol.

Becky Savage, mother of 19-year-old Nick and 18-year-old Jack, told the students how painful it was to lose two of her four children in a single day.

“I cannot even begin to describe to you know the numbness that takes over you. It is one of the worst feelings I have every felt in my life,” Savage said, according to WNDU.

She said she was picking up laundry from Jack’s room when she realized he wasn’t responding to her, and she tried to revive him, FOX 28 reported. Paramedics also tried to revive him and his older brother, Nick, who had gone to sleep in the basement with friends, but the two were dead.

“The final worst feeling that day is to tell your other two children that their older two brothers have died, and are gone forever,” Savage said. “The look of sorrow and heartbreak on their faces and the reality of the situation sinks in is something I will never forget.”

St. Joseph County Prosecutor Ken Cotter, Lt. Dave Wells with the St. Joseph County Police’s drug investigations unit and Kristin Tawardos, a clinical psychologist at Oaklawn, also were at the event for a question and answer session with the audience.



Related posts

Three juveniles arrested after late-night pursuit

95.3 MNC

Brownsburg woman arrested after allegedly attaching, injuring special needs daughter

Network Indiana

Hendricks County Indiana deputy killed while responding to crash

Network Indiana