NationalNews

At least 35 killed in New Year’s attack in Istanbul

Medics carry a wounded person at the scene after an attack at a popular nightclub in Istanbul, early Sunday, Jan. 1, 2017. Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said that an armed assailant has opened fire at a nightclub in Istanbul during New Year's celebrations. Turkish authorities have banned distribution of images relating to the Istanbul attack within Turkey.(IHA via AP)

ISTANBUL (AP) — Istanbul’s governor says at least 35 people were killed in the attack at a nightclub in Istanbul during New Year’s celebrations.

Vasip Sahin said some 40 other people were wounded in the assault in the early hours of Sunday.

Sahin said the incident was a “terror attack” without saying who may have carried it out.

Security measures had been heightened in major Turkish cities, with police barring traffic leading up to key squares in Istanbul and the capital, Ankara. In Istanbul, 17,000 police officers were put on duty, some camouflaged as Santa Claus or street vendors.

Ankara and Istanbul have been targeted by several attacks in 2016 carried out by the Islamic State group or Kurdish rebels, killing more than 180 people.

Related posts

Virtual ballot goes live to inform Hoosiers

Joe Ulery/Indiana News Service

City of Elkhart announces 2024 ‘Let’s Talk Tuesday’ meeting schedule

95.3 MNC

Man, 18, arrested for shooting woman at River Shore Apartments in South Bend

Jon Zimney

Leave a Comment