The Elkhart Public Library is taking a different approach to late fees.
Through Saturday, all branches of the library are accepting donations of non-perishable food or toiletry donations in exchange of a reduction for late fees.
Each food item donated is worth 50 cents off the late fee, with toiletries worth a dollar.
All of the items donated will go to the Church Community Services food pantry in Elkhart. The pantry is specifically asking for:
- Low sodium, hearty soups and stews
- Low sodium canned vegetables
- Low sugar canned fruit
- Whole grain pasta and rice
- Whole grain cereal
- Peanut butter
- Personal care items: soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes
- Baby items: diapers, baby food