For the first time in decades, Indiana and Purdue will not meet to decide the owner of the Old Oaken Bucket.
IU and Purdue mutually agreed Wednesday to cancel Saturday’s game at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington due to rising COVID-19 numbers at both schools.
In a joint statement from Indiana athletic director Scott Dolson and Purdue athletic director Mike Babinski:
“We’re certainly disappointed that we had to cancel the Old Oaken Bucket game. We both understand the history and tradition of one of the best rivalries in college football, but the safety and well-being of our student-athletes, coaches and staff is our primary priority. We will continue to monitor the situation on both campuses and listen to the advice of our medical professionals.”
It’s the first time IU and Purdue will not play each other since 1919.
Ohio State will also advance to the Big Ten Football Championship Game. The Big Ten eliminated its six-game minimum requirement for teams to compete in the conference championship game. Ohio State’s Dec. 12 game against Michigan was canceled because of coronavirus problems.
Ohio State is 5-0. They beat Indiana 42-35 November 21.
“Coach Allen and I are proud of this team and the success we have had so far this season. We are one of only two teams in the country with three Top-25 victories and have matched a program record for Big Ten wins,” said Indiana University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Scott Dolson. “Although we understand the conference’s decision, we are disappointed. From the start of the year, we have said we can only control what we can control. We had a chance to earn our spot in the Big Ten Championship Game, but ultimately fell a touchdown short on the road against a great Ohio State team. We look forward to resuming activities and completing one of the best seasons in our school’s history.”