No shots fired at Washington Navy Yard, officials say

WASHINGTON (AP) — 10:20 a.m.

District of Columbia police say that they’ve completed their search of the building where gunfire was reported at the Washington Navy Yard, but there is no evidence of a shooting and no sign of injuries.

Police say a call was placed from a building inside the naval installation about possible sounds of gunshots about 7:30 a.m. Thursday.

City police along with federal and other agencies worked at the scene. Metropolitan Police said in a statement that they found no evidence of any shooting.

10:10 a.m.

Despite reports of gunfire, a federal law enforcement official said there were no shots fired at the Washington Navy Yard on Thursday morning.

The official, who has been briefed on the situation, spoke on the condition of anonymity to disclose details of the ongoing investigation.

9:50 a.m.

An official says that authorities at the Washington Navy Yard have found no evidence of a shooting, no one has been arrested, and no weapons have been found after a report of gunfire.

The official has been briefed on Thursday’s response at the naval installation but spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to release the information publicly.

The official says authorities received an alert about a potential shooter Thursday morning at the Navy Yard, which triggered a large response in keeping with protocols established after a gunman killed 12 workers in a 2013 massacre.

— Associated Press writer Ben Nuckols

9:40 a.m.

A Navy Yard worker says the first thing he thought when he heard alarms and speakers was: “Here we go again.”

Facilities specialist Chris Robertson has worked at the Washington Navy Yard for about 10 years. He says that about 7:30 a.m. Thursday, the alarm inside his building started going off, people were told over the loud speaker to shelter in place. But he says his supervisor called at 7:33 a.m. and told him and two co-workers to leave.

Robertson said he didn’t notice anything unusual Thursday morning — everything was normal.

Officials say there were reports of shots fired Thursday morning in the same building where a gunman killed 12 workers two years ago. A lockdown for the entire installation followed Thursday’s reports.

9:20 a.m.

A federal official says Navy security has seen surveillance video of two people jumping the fence in the vicinity of a building where gunfire was reported on the Washington Navy Yard campus.

The official said Thursday that the video showed the two jumping the fence a couple of minutes before the first report of the shots.

The official also says security has cleared the building and found no one inside.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity for lack of authorization to discuss details publicly.

— Associated Press writer Lolita C. Baldor

9 a.m.

The Washington Navy Yard was on lockdown Thursday morning after reports of gunshots, but a senior federal law enforcement official says there has been no confirmed report of any shooting.

The official says civilian and military law enforcement officers were sweeping the Navy Yard building, which had already been largely emptied. The official was receiving detailed briefings on the situation but spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss developments with reporters.

The official also says there have been no reports of injuries.

The FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are on the scene.

— Associated Press writers Ted Bridis and Lolita C. Baldor contributed.

Related posts

Michigan Democrats hoping for a big day on Tuesday

Tommie Lee

International shipping season begins at Ports of Indiana-Burns Harbor

Tommie Lee

U of M students study the eclipse in Indiana

Tommie Lee