IndianaNews

Indiana prosecutor to seek death penalty in ‘Purge’ killings

Johnathan Cruz (Photo supplied/Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department)

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A prosecutor says he will seek the death penalty in the case of a 19-year-old Indianapolis man charged with fatally shooting three people over four days in May.

Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said at a news conference Tuesday that Johnathan Cruz killed the three “for sport,” describing the killings as “beyond senseless.” Curry says Cruz based the killings on the horror movie “The Purge,” which is about one day a year when murder is legal. Cruz has pleaded not guilty in the shootings of Billy Boyd and Jay Higginbotham on May 12 and Jose Ruiz on May 15.

According to court documents, detectives said a witness told them Cruz confessed he had been “purging” by shooting and robbing people.

Related posts

ND vs North Carolina: Post-game interview with Head Coach Brian Kelly

95.3 MNC

Family of Hardy’s Bar shooting death suing

Amelia Lee

Elkhart-Cass Co. Memorial Day celebrations

95.3 MNC

Leave a Comment