The South Bend Department of Public Works Streets Division has released its targets for resurfacing during the summer paving season. Work has already begun, with each stretch of pavement taking 3 to 5 weeks to go from pockmarked with potholes, to dimpled from milling, to final product.
“Drivers and pedestrians should be aware of these projects,” Director of Public Works Eric Horvath said. “Although they may result in brief delays, residents should expect smoother streets and better roads upon their completion.”
To repave a street, it must first be milled, meaning the top layers of asphalt will be stripped off. After milling, manholes will need to be inspected before the roads can be repaved with new asphalt and then repainted with new traffic lines.
In the 2016 budget, Mayor Pete Buttigieg requested $1 million to resurface 20 lane miles of streets across the city.
The Indiana Department of Transportation is also doing resurfacing work this summer. Work began in mid-May on filling holes and prepping Indiana 23 for resurfacing. The South Bend portion of Indiana 23 was finished in mid-July, with the entire stretch of road to be completed in August.
South Bend’s paving season is expected to last through October.
- Ridgedale Rd. Twyckenham Ave. to York Rd.
- Washington Ave. Chapin St. to Walnut St.
- California Ave. Blaine Ave. to Diamond Ave.
- Blaine Ave. Van Buren Ave. to California Ave.
- Tuxedo Dr. McKinley Ave. to Colfax Ave.
- Lake St. Ford St. to Western Ave.
- Dundee St. Western Ave. to Huron St.
- Warren St. Ford St. to Dunham St.
- Dunrobbin Ln. Twyckenham Dr. to E. Cul-De-Sac
- Carroll St. Indiana Ave. to Dubail St.
- Sunnyside Ave. Sunnymede Ave. to South St.
- Badder St. Ironwood Dr. to Coquillard Dr.
- Rose St. Sherman Ave. to Kessler Blvd.
- Kessler Blvd. Rose St. to Elwood Ave.
Much of Main Street and Michigan Street will also be repaved as part of the Smart Streets Initiative. All of the downtown portions of Main Street, Michigan Street and St. Joseph Street will be repaved as well as the sections of Main Street and Michigan Street from Chippewa Avenue to Ewing Avenue.