The American Red Cross remains in Kokomo, with more than more than 50 volunteers helping the thousands of people who have lost everything their belongings in the tornadoes that hit the area on Wednesday, Aug. 24.
On Friday, the Red Cross provided the following update to 95.3 MNC:
The Red Cross has one shelter currently open in Kokomo:
- Kokomo Event & Conference Center (1500 N Reed Rd, Kokomo, IN 46901)
“The situation in Kokomo remains significant,” said Duchess Adjei, regional communication director for the American Red Cross. “People need help right now. And our help is just beginning. We will be there to help people recover in the weeks and months to come. We ask people to please consider making a financial donation to the Red Cross today to support the people of Kokomo.”
As of Thursday night:
- More than 540 meals and 1,080 snacks were delivered
- 52 Red Cross volunteers have been on the ground in Kokomo
- More than 60 volunteers have been trained on site, immediately at both the Indiana Regional Headquarters in Indianapolis and the Carver Community Center in Kokomo
- Three Emergency Response Vehicles have deployed to the area
- Provided more than 47,000 overnight stays in emergency shelters
- Handled more than 100 calls from people seeking information and help
People can donate by visiting the Red Cross website or by calling (317) 684-1441. The site also has information about volunteer opportunities.