Clay Township homeowner hospitalized after fire

0
654
(Photo supplied/Clay Fire Territory)

A fire near the Indiana-Michigan border sent the homeowner to the hospital.

Clay Fire Territory battled the fire in the 20000 block of Wedgewood Dr at around 9 a.m. Sunday. Heavy smoke was coming out of the eves and roof vents when firefighters arrived, according to Clay Fire Territory.

The fire was contained to the front room of the home and the attic space, though there was smoke and water damage throughout the home.

The homeowner tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, but it didn’t work properly. He was able to escape, but had to be taken to the hospital as a precaution because he encountered heavy smoke on the way out.

Two pet cats are doing ok after the fire, though one of them hid from firefighters.

The fire is still being investigated, but it’s believed to have started by discarded smoking materials left on the couch.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here