A fire destroyed the Burger King restaurant at the corner of Nappanee Street and West Indiana Avenue in Elkhart.
Crews were called to the scene around 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 13.
According to the Elkhart Fire Department, the building is a total loss.
The blaze began after somebody tossed a lit cigarette into some mulch, which then ignited a side of the building, according to 95.3 MNC’s reporting partners at The Elkhart Truth.
It took around an hour to douse the flames.
The Elkhart Fire Department issued the following information:
The Elkhart Fire Department was dispatched to a local restaurant for a possible structure fire.
The first arriving unit reported heavy brown/black smoke coming from the roof and the rear door of the structure.
EFD crews quickly meet with the restaurant manager who reported everyone was out of the building.
Engine 1 deployed their fire attack lines and made entry via the foyer of the building. Upon making entry, they felt heat above them.
Ceiling tiles were removed which displayed active fire in the attic/void space above the ceiling tiles.
Once the fire was under control in the foyer area, crews made their way into the main portion of the building.
Crews searched for further active fire and hot spots above the drop ceiling.
Once all fire was extinguished, EFD personnel assisted restaurant management retrieve employee personal items and other store property.
No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported at the scene.
Once all equipment was picked up, EFD units cleared and returned to service