Charge dismissed against boy in woman's accidental shooting

0
178

By: Associated Press

Public Domain

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) — Prosecutors say a charge against a 12-year-old southwestern Michigan boy in the accidental shooting death of a 28-year-old family friend has been dismissed.

Kalamazoo County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Carrie Klein tells the Kalamazoo Gazette that the decision was made last week after the boy was found not competent to stand trial in juvenile court on a misdemeanor charge of careless discharge of a firearm causing death.

The charge had been authorized in August by a court referee.

Police have described the boy as mentally impaired. His grandfather has said the boy removed a shotgun from a safe May 22 after finding the key.

The shotgun discharged and sent pellets through a wall, striking Deborah Christner as she slept. The grandfather has said Christner was two months pregnant.