Police: Deputy shot man after his squad car was rammed

Alexander David Jackson (Photo supplied/Kosciusko County Jail)

NORTH WEBSTER, Ind. (AP) — State police say a northern Indiana sheriff’s deputy shot a man following a road rage dispute and crash because he feared for his life after the man’s pickup truck rammed his squad car.

They said Tuesday that Kosciusko County Deputy Don McCune shot 24-year-old Alexander D. Jackson of Milford on Thursday after Jackson had rammed his squad car repeatedly, briefly knocking McCune unconscious, and was revving his truck engine when McCune opened fire.

Jackson faces charges including attempted murder, battery on a law enforcement officer, resisting law enforcement, and criminal recklessness. He’s jailed on more than $50,000 bond.

Jackson allegedly shot at another motorist earlier. Police say they recovered two guns from his truck.

Online jail records do not show an attorney for Jackson who might comment on his case.

The Indiana State Police released the following information on Tuesday, Aug. 2:

Kosciusko County – Working in conjunction with the Kosciusko County Prosecutor’s Office, detectives with the Indiana State Police signed charges Tuesday afternoon against 24-year-old Alexander David Jackson of Milford.  Jackson was involved in a vehicle chase last Wednesday that started in Syracuse and ended in North Webster when he crashed into a building and was ultimately shot by a Kosciusko County Deputy. 

Jackson’s six felony charges stem from July 27th when he chased Nathaniel Boyer and his passenger from Syracuse to North Webster in his pickup truck while pulling a trailer.  Jackson is accused of shooting several rounds at Boyer from his moving tuck while chasing him south bound on SR 13.  State police recovered one round that struck Boyer’s truck near the driver’s side tail light.  

During the chase Jackson rammed Boyer’s SUV twice as they drove through North Webster and also struck Deputy Don McCune’s patrol vehicle when he attempted to stop him.  Jackson continued to pursue Boyer until he lost control of his truck and crashed into a building when he attempted to turn east onto East Huntington Street from Main Street.  

Deputy McCune witnessed the crash and attempted to block Jackson in to prevent him from fleeing when Jackson rammed McCune’s vehicle with such force that it knocked him unconscious for a brief period of time.  As McCune regained consciousness he was again repeatedly rammed by Jackson.  After several commands by McCune for Jackson to stop he observed Jackson rev his truck engine in an attempt to ram him again.  Fearing for his life, McCune fired several rounds from his police vehicle into Jackson’s truck striking him once.  This caused Jackson to stop and surrender. 

The state police recovered a 9mm handgun and a sawed off shotgun from Jackson’s pickup. 

As a result of the state police investigation Jackson was charged with attempted murder, battery on a law enforcement officer, resisting law enforcement, criminal recklessness, and criminal recklessness while armed with a deadly weapon. 

Jackson was recently arrested by the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department for operating while intoxicated causing serious bodily injury after he was released from the hospital.  The sheriff’s department was tasked with investigating the crash within the incident while the state police handled the other criminal aspects of the case.  Jackson is being held at the Kosciusko County Jail on a $50,250 bond for the five most recent charges and a $5,250 bond for the OWI. 

Related posts

Jackson Middle School students given face masks, school supplies before returning to class

Brooklyne Beatty

Ohio man killed in multi-vehicle crash on toll road near Mishawaka

Jon Zimney

South Bend fire crews battle blaze at home on Oak Street

Jon Zimney

Leave a Comment