St. Joseph County Council approves carbon monoxide requirement

0
489

The St. Joseph County Council approved a carbon monoxide ordinance Tuesday night.

ABC 57 reports that carbon monoxide detectors would be required in rental properties throughout South Bend and Mishawaka under the new ordinance, something Clay Firefighters have been pushing for the past three years.

Statistics show that 25 people in the county have died of CO2 poisoning in the last decade. 48 were hospitalized last year alone at Beacon Health.

Failure to comply could result in a fine of up to $100 per violation.

LaPorte passed a simliar ordinance in April, and Michigan City and Porter County have them in place, as well. A lack of carbon monoxide sensors at a Niles hotel led to the death of a boy in April.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here