Shots fired by officer during wild chase on toll road in Porter County


The Indiana State Police is investigating an officer-involved shooting that took place near the 28 mile marker on the Indiana Toll Road.

It was around 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Sep. 4, the Valparaiso Police Department received a call of three male suspects that were allegedly attempting to break into cars.

A few minutes after that, a Valparaiso Police Officer saw a vehicle that matched the description that had been given travelling on Calumet Avenue in Valparaiso. The officer tried to make a traffic stop and the vehicle fled northbound on Calumet Avenue and then northbound on SR 49.

The vehicle entered the toll road at the Valparaiso Exit and continued to flee westbound, eventually crashing. After the collision, the three males fled on foot into a wooded area near CR 200 West.

Two suspects were found in the wooded area north of the toll road and taken into custody. The third suspect got back onto the toll road and was seen running westbound by a toll road maintenance worker that was directing traffic from the original crash.

The maintenance worker was outside of his truck setting up traffic cones when he saw the suspect try to get into an occupied vehicle that was stopped in traffic. The suspect then tried to get into the driver’s seat of the unoccupied maintenance vehicle when the maintenance worker grabbed the suspect by the shirt and told him he couldn’t take the truck.

The suspect then put the maintenance truck into reverse and quickly backed up crashing into a semi.  As the suspect backed up, he drove towards the maintenance worker and officers that were closing in on foot. At this time shots were fired by a Porter County Sheriff’s Deputy and two Indiana State Troopers. The suspect put the truck into drive and fled a short distance westbound before crashing into another semi.

The suspect then got out of the maintenance vehicle, jumped into the median, and fled on foot onto CR 200 West, below the toll road, where he was taken into custody.

The suspect was taken to Northlake Methodist Hospital where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

All three suspects are currently in police custody.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here