The City of South Bend provided an update on Tuesday, Nov. 22, regarding the Smart Streets initiative. Work on traffic lanes along St. Joseph Street is nearing completion and the City released the following information about the final phase of street construction:
- Michigan Street opened to two-way traffic between Sample and Western on Tuesday, Nov. 22.
- St. Joseph Street will open to two-way traffic between Western and Marion on Wednesday evening, Nov. 23.
- With the two-way traffic pattern established throughout downtown South Bend by the end of the day on Wednesday, crews will work on the traffic signals to ensure better traffic flow.
- Additional streetscape work, including curb ramps, brick pavers, and landscaping work, will continue as long as weather allows. This should cause minimal disruption to traffic flow.
- Final streetscape and landscape work will take place in the spring of 2017, but will require no major lane closures.
For additional information, see the Smart Streets website.