Authorities: Faulty light wiring may have caused fatal fire in Cass County

NEWBERG TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say faulty wiring in a fluorescent light may have caused a house fire where an 87-year-old woman died of smoke inhalation.

Cass County authorities say two people and four dogs survived the blaze, Saturday night, in the 61000 block of Lewis Lake Road in Newberg Township, but Phyllis Tucker was pronounced dead at the home.

One of the dogs was taken for treatment.

Sgt. Scott LeRoy of the Michigan State Police Fire Investigation Unit tells the Kalamazoo Gazette the fire started in the family room of the home’s walkout basement.

He says the damage was heavy enough that the cause cannot be conclusively determined, but the wiring may be to blame. Foul play isn’t suspected.

LeRoy says Tucker’s bedroom was in the basement, which may explain why she was unable to escape.

Related posts

Two people hurt in fiery car crash in Cass County

Jon Zimney

Local News podcast for Friday, May 24, 2024

Jon Zimney

Michiana Crime Stoppers presents Fugitive Friday for May 25, 2024

Jon Zimney